Why You Need To Take An Optimal Daily Allowance Multivitamin/Mineral Formula
Many so-called experts will tell you not to worry about taking vitamins if you are eating a balanced diet. Unfortunately, dieting alone can’t provide enough essential vitamins and minerals to promote optimal health. For Instance, you would need to consume 5,000 calories per day (mostly fat) in order to get the recommend minimum (400 IU) of vitamin E, and 12,000 calories per day to get the minimum amount of chromium.
70% of the population is deficient in magnesium, 65% are deficient in zinc, 48% are deficient in calcium, and 56% of the population is deficient in Vitamin C. Vitamin B-1 has been reported to be deficient in almost 50 percent of the elderly. Could this be one of the reasons pre-senile dementia and Alzheimer’s disease have increased so dramatically over the last few decades?
Thousands of studies validate the benefits of taking a multivitamin/mineral formula on a daily basis. Taking a daily multivitamin/mineral formula reduces the incidence of heart disease, heart attack, stroke, glaucoma, depression, macular degeneration, diabetes, senile dementia, and various cancers.
A Few Vitamin Facts
1. Multivitamin Use Associated With Lowering A Risk Factor For Cardiovascular Disease. A recent study published in the American Journal of Medicine states that an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, C-reactive protein (CRP), can be reduced by the intake of a multivitamin..
Source: American Journal of Medicine, Volume 115, Issue 9
2. Daily Multivitamin Use May Bring Significant Savings To Older Americans
According to a new study, the daily use of a multivitamin by older adults could bring about more than $1.6 billion in Medicare savings over the next five years.
3. Slash Cancer Odds: Taking 200 micrograms of selenium daily for four and a half years cut cancer rate 42 percent and cancer deaths in half in a group of 1300 individuals. The incidence of colorectal cancer dropped 64 percent and prostate cancer an amazing 69 percent! -University of Arizona.
4. Prevent Alzheimer’s: Not a single older person who took separate doses of vitamin E (200-800 IU) or vitamin C (500-1000 mg) developed Alzheimer’s disease during a four-year double blind study.
Chicago’s Rush Institute for Healthy Aging.
5. Boost Immune System: Taking 200 IU of natural vitamin E daily boosted immune functioning in older people. Obviously, superior immune functioning lessens infections, possibly cancer and heart disease. -Tufts University
6. Stop Heart Attacks: A daily dose of 400-800 IU of natural vitamin E cut subsequent heart attacks in men with heart problems by an astonishing 77 percent. -Cambridge University, England.
7. Stop Strokes: High doses of B vitamins decreased the amount of plaque in carotid (neck) arteries by 10 percent during a four-year study. Blocked carotid arteries can cause strokes. Plaque increased by 50 percent in non-vitamin B takers. -University of Toronto.
8. Prevent Fractures: Taking 500 mg of calcium and 700 IU of vitamin D daily for three years significantly cut the rate of bone loss and non-vertebral fractures in men and women older than age 65. -Tufts University.
9. Save Vision: Women taking vitamin C supplements cut their risk of cataracts by 77 per cent. -Tufts University and the National Institutes of Health
10. Prolong Life: Taking vitamin E and vitamin C (in higher doses than in a multivitamin) cut chances of death from all causes by 42 percent. Vitamin E users were 47 percent less apt to die of heart disease and 59 percent less likely to die of cancer. – National Institute on Aging.
11. Help Decrease The Risk Of Stroke.
According to researchers from Harvard, the long-term dietary intake of folate and vitamin B12 may help decrease the risk of ischemic stroke. An ischemic stroke is the most common kind of stroke caused by an interruption in the flow of blood to the brain.
Source: Stroke, Volume 35, 2004
12. Vitamin C Deficiency May Be Linked To Respiratory Disorders. In a recent two-year study, researchers found that vitamin C may prevent symptoms linked to airway diseases such as asthma, cystic fibrosis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Source: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 101, Number 10, 2004
13. Reduce The Risk Of Alzheimer’s Disease- Johns Hopkins University researchers recently reported that the intake of vitamins E and C in combination reduced both the prevalence and incidence of Alzheimer’s disease.
14. Increased Vitamin C May Help People Live Longer- A recent study conducted at the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine shows that vitamin C may reduce the risk of heart disease and other illnesses. It also shows that those who have higher levels of vitamin C in their blood may actually live longer, compared to those who had lower levels.
Source: Lancet, March 3, 2001.
Recommended Daily Allowance vs. Optimal Daily Allowance
Almost as unacceptable as not recommending vitamin and mineral supplements is the recommendation of them based on the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA).
Needless to say, most of us don’t fit into the definition of the average person defined by RDA.
In fact, most adult women don’t meet the RDA for zinc, Vitamin B, calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin E; likewise, most adult men don’t meet the RDA for zinc and magnesium. Fewer than 29% of people eat 5 fresh fruits and vegetables a day. Furthermore, 20% of the U.S. population doesn’t eat ANY fruits or vegetables at all.
The RDA or recommended disease allowance may keep you from getting scurvy but it is grossly inadequate if your goal is for prevention and or treatment of heart disease, cancer, cataracts, depression, senility, diabetes, arthritis and other age related disorders.
For optimal health and well-being, many health practitioners are recommending many times higher than the RDA on certain nutrients.
For optimal health, disease prevention, and increased longevity, I recommend my patients take a good optimal daily allowance multivitamin/mineral formula.
Click Here to Read More About or Order My Multivitamin Supplements
All The Best -
Dr. Rodger Murphree – Author of 5 books including -
Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Heart Disease What Your Doctor Won’t Tell You
Treating and Beating Anxiety and Depression With Orthomolecular Medicine