Topical Pain Relief: the active ingredients in over-the-counter topical pain medications may include:
- Capsaicin – creams deplete your nerve cells of a chemical that’s important for sending pain messages. Examples include Capzasin and Zostrix
- Salicylates – contains the pain-relieving substance found in aspirin. Examples include Aspercreme and Bengay
- Menthol – produces a sensation of hot or cold that may temporarily override your ability to feel your pain. Examples include Icy Hot and BioFreeze.
The product I use is BioFreeze. My husband will massage this onto my lower back or where ever I am having pain.
Other products include:
- Precise (from the makers of Tylenol) – Pain Relieving Heat Patches or Cream
- Flexall – pain relieving gels
- Orthogel – Cold Pain Relief Therapy
- Tiger Balm – Arthritis Rub, Muscle Rub Cream, Patch
- ThermaCare Heat Wraps – delivers heat that penetrates deep, warming the muscles where you hurt.
Heat: If you are always cold, then this is a great way to warm up and help with the pain
I love to take a hot shower or even soak in a warm bath. I even play soft music and light some candles so the mood is relaxing.
Other options include:
- Heating Pads
- Electric Blankets
- Portable Heaters
- Heat Warming Wraps
Deep Breathing: taking deep breaths may help relieve anxiety or panic.
I know when I am stressed or panicking, taking deep breaths helps me to loosen my muscles and relax me.
Massage: helps to relieve tight muscles.
I get a massage once a month to loosen me up. My massage therapist does light massage because I am sensitive to touch. If I miss a month, I can definitely feel it. If I have a flare up, I can’t go for a massge because then I am in more pain after and for longer. My flare up has to be totally gone in order for me to get a massage.
Massage Items you can purchase: (I have not tried these items so I am not saying they work)
- Hand held compact massager fits comfortably in the palm of your hand.
- Hand held scalp massager
- Hand held back massager – Pressure Positive K2rr
- Cordless Mini Therapeutic Body Massager
- Homedics PM-50 Hand Held Mini Massager with Hand Grip
Bedding and Pillows:
I love flannel sheets in the winter because they keep me nice and warm. For the rest of the year, I use very soft sheets. As for pillows, I need fluffy. When they start to smaller, I give them to my husband and I go and by new ones. I actually sleep with 4 pillows – one big one and three small ones. I keep a really flat pillow under my back and the other two I lay on and/or sleep with when I am on my side.
I purchase pillows from the JCPenney Home Collection, both queen and king.
Music: can be soothing and relaxing if you listen to the right kind
I know I have mentioned this before but I love Celtic Woman. I play them and I get very relaxed and stress-free. I also like Blues, Jazz, Country, Swing, Big Bands, Soundtracks to movies. When I am stressed or anxious, I like to listen to soft, quiet music.
Music I like to listen to that relaxes me:
- Alison Krauss
- Amanda Broadway
- Barbara Streisand
- Celtic Woman
- Chris Botti
- Dave Koz
- Diana Krall
- Faith Hill
- Frank Sinatra
- Harry Connick Jr.
- Herbie Hancock
- Jackie Evancho
- James Horner
- Jessy J
- Josh Groban
- Kenny G
- Lady Antebellum
- Linda Eder
- Martina McBride
- Melissa Etheridge
- Michael Buble
- Michael Maxwell
- Mindi Abair
- Nikki Yanofsky
- Queen Latifah
- Rascal Flatts
- Sarah McLachlan
- Tim McGraw
- Tony Bennett
- Trisha Yearwood
- Vince Gill
I would love to hear what you do to relax and what helps you with your Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.